Song Writing Competition
Every year since 1986, OVFF has held at least one songwriting competition
in order to encourage the creation of new songs and increase the number
of active song writers in the Filk community. That, and it's a lot of fun!
This year we are again holding two contests.
FIRST CONTEST: Once Upon A Time
The first contest, to be held Saturday evening, is the traditional type: write a song on a topic (see above) announced in advance. Entries should be new material of limited distribution written between October 2012 and October 2013.
SECOND CONTEST: Iron Filker
Our second contest is an Iron Filker contest intended to test your wits
and the speed of your pen. A suprise topic is announced at the opening of
the con. You then have the weekend to write, and then the song is presented
Sunday afternoon. We ask for three verses and a chorus.
PDF file of the scoring sheet used by the judges can be found here.)
- The songs can be original lyrics and music OR new lyrics to existing
- Entries in the first contest should be new material of limited distribution
written between October 2012 and October
2013. Entries in the second contest
must be written at the convention.
- Songs are to be performed in front of a live audience for a panel of
- Songs are judged on the quality of the writing--not on the strength
of the performance.
- An Audience Choice award is also voted on by the entire audience.
- If the songwriter is not a performer, the entry may be performed by
a friend. (Please note that the songwriter must be in attendance at
the convention in order to enter.)
- Please bring three (3) copies of your song for the judges.
Signup sheets will be made available Friday evening at the opening of the
convention on a first come, first served basis. The number of entries permitted
may be limited, so be sure to sign up early.
If you have any questions as to the appropriateness of the entry, please
seek out an OVFF concom member or e-mail us.
congratulations go out to the winners of previous competitions, a partial
list of whom is found here.